top of page

What is

circular sanitation?

Circular Sanitation is a waterless sanitation system that collects human excreta (pee and poop) so it can be processed into clean water and compost. With this we save water and give the nutrients back to the earth.

Why do we need to create circular sanitation?

Our food contains a lot of (micro) nutrients, but our body only uses 1% of these nutrients. The other 99% we poop and pee out again. This is equal to the amount of nutrients our land needs for the next harvest. Unfortunately, we do not return these (micro) nutrients to the soil. To keep the crops growing we then import fertilizer, but fertilizer has some major flaws. The production uses fossil fuels and emits a lot of CO2. The nutrients used are mined from limited sources and fertilizer contains few essential micronutrients that leave us with an impoverishment of the soil. These micronutrients, on the other hand, are abundant in our poop and pee streams and could be from great use to create a healthy soil. But what do we do with them? We go to a tiny locked room and flush them away. Because these flows are diluted with other water flows (showering, cooking and sometimes rainwater), a lot of time and energy is needed to return to clean drinking water and various residual flows (such as sludge). The products obtained from these residual flows are generally not good enough to provide the soil with the necessary (micro) nutrients. These micronutrients have been lost in the process.


How do we achive

circular sanitation?

This circular chain will initially be tested at eventsin an event setting (such as a festival). Our ultimate aim is to have a closed loop of a situation in which the valuable urine and faeces streams by creating awareness, stimulate circular business-models and organize juridical structures. So that the  are given a "raw materials status"can become valuable and safely return it to the soil., (so n No more waste!) and can thus be safely returned to the soil. This opens up the possibility for creating economic and social value in this chain.


We want to achieve this in 4 steps:

  1. Collection with: clean and waterfree toilets, flushing with compostable plastic bags

  2. Transformation by fermentation and composting

  3. Enriching soils and growing crops Growing

  4. Creating new innovative products to close the loope


Who is collaborating on this circular chain?

bottom of page